Class 8P 'Princess' 4-6-2

46212 Duchess of Kent


Ex-LMSR Class 8P Princess 4-6-2 No. 46212 Duchess of Kent climbs the last mile towards Beattock Summit with the 11.5am train from Birmingham New Street to Glasgow Central during July 1959. The leading four vehicles of the train consist of a pair of ex-LMSR articulated excursion stock twins. [David Anderson]

Class 5XP (BR Class 6P5F) 'Jubilee' 4-6-0

Introduced: 1934.
Boiler pressure: 225 psi.
Cylinders: (3) 17" x 26".
Driving wheel diameter: 6' 9".
Tractive effort: 26,610 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 79 tons 11 cwt. Tender:



45588 KASHMIR


Ex-LMSR Class 6P Jubilee 4-6-0 No. 45588 KASHMIR stands at Lockerbie Station with train 1X82, the Lockerbie to Dumfries leg of the Stephenson Locomotive Society (Scottish Area)/Branch Line Society Scottish Rambler No.2 (Joint Easter Rail Tour) on 14th April, 1963. [R.Hobbs]

Collapse )

Class 8P 'Coronation' 4-6-2

Introduced: 1937.
Boiler pressure: 250 psi.
Cylinders: (4) 16½" x 28".
Driving wheel diameter: 6' 9".
Tractive effort: 40,000 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 105 tons 5 cwt. Tender:



6220 (BR No. 46220) Coronation
Built:
To traffic: June 1937.
Withdrawn: April 1963.


Ex-LMSR Class 8P Duchess 4-6-2 No. 46220 Coronation departs from Edinburgh Princes Street Station with the 11.37am all-stations train to Glasgow Central in spring 1956. [David Anderson]

Collapse )

Class 4 2-6-4T

Introduced: 1945.
Boiler pressure: 200 psi.
Cylinders: (O) 19⅝" x 26".
Driving wheel diameter: 5' 9".
Tractive effort: 24,670 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 85 tons 5 cwt.



42058
Built: BR Derby Works.
To traffic: 1950.
Withdrawn:


Ex-LMSR Class 4 2-6-4T No. 42058 awaits departure from Princes Street Station with a stopping train for Carstairs, 20th June, 1964. [W.S. Sellar]

Collapse )

Class 5 2-6-0

Introduced: 1926.
Boiler pressure: 180 psi.
Cylinders: (O) 21" x 26".
Driving wheel diameter: 5' 6".
Tractive effort: 26,580 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 66 tons 0 cwt. Tender:



42737


Ex-LMSR Class 5 2-6-0 No. 42737 approaches Annbank Junction from the Drongan Branch with a train of loaded 16-ton mineral wagons from the central Ayrshire coalfield on 19th September, 1966. No. 42737 was allocated to Ayr Shed 67C from January 1961 until December 1966, when it was withdrawn from service with the closure of the shed to steam traction. It had previously been allocated to Grangemouth Shed. [Brian Flannigan]

Collapse )